About This Project
A few years ago, we designed the kitchen and master bath for these homeowners when they built their house, so when they decided to finish the basement they called on us again. Our commission was to finish the entire basement, which was completely unfinished–just studded. The specific requests were:
- Create an area where the homeowners and their teenage son could relax and entertain friends in a fun, casual atmosphere to include games, TV, video, and bar
- Include a powder room for guests
- Create a special area where the son could practice his music
- Design a wine storage room for the husband’s wine collection
- Plan an area for storing the wife’s collection of vintage clothing and jewelry
- Plan for an exercise room with a bath that could double as a guest suite
- Include storage and mechanical areas
After discussing the needs and desires with the homeowners, we studied the space and designed the areas to take advantage of existing architectural features such as windows and entrances and areas piped for future baths. This was a cost-effective approach as well. The scope of work included a kitchen/bar area, TV/bookcase area, stairs, powder bath, exercise room and exercise bath. One of the homeowners chose an Art Deco theme for the basement.
The wine storage area located just off of the billiards area is perfect for parties. The room is temperature and humidity controlled, and includes a custom sand-blasted Art Deco design on the door.
The bar was done using cabinetry by Schrock in the Huxley door style, cherry wood with a chocolate finish and topped with Absolute Black granite. The bar includes a sink, microwave, ice maker and beverage center.